Thursday, January 1, 2009

January 1, 2009

Have you ever seen pictures of yourself as a child? Surrounded by your cousins? I have and it's usually my cousin Maile, second from the right and still claims I was the most beautiful baby she had ever seen..... or my cousin Linda holding me. I don't remember anybody pinching me and I remember them fondly. My other cousin, Linda Bernice Hoohieikananionapua Salvador Kahuhu passed many a little over 10 years ago. It's her birthday today, so some of the Paleka girls, and my son. the photographer got in the car and went to visit her and sing Happy Birthday. She was 11 years and 11 days older than me and being the second oldest cousin of 33 children took the concept of sharing very seriously. She would take the package of cookies or whatever we needed to share and carefully count out, one for you, one for you, and if there were any leftovers, she took a survey and divide, as best she could the rest evenly. While we were there we also paid tribute to the 13 other graves at the Makawao Veteran's Cemetary. Then we decided to go visit our baby time stomping grounds, Hookipa Park, Baldwin Park and Paia Town. Of course we had to stop by Kuau Mart and snack. They got the best hot dogs in town. If you have the time today or soon, remember those who aren't with us anymore. Say a silent thank you for the good times and lessons learned. Try to pass their goodness on to others.
 

No comments: